Know your risks this World Glaucoma Week
in Fundraising, Glaucoma, News, Paediatrics
8 Mar 2016
It’s World Glaucoma Week (6-12 March) and we at Save Sight Institute would like to take the opportunity to share some important facts about this degenerative eye disease.
- Around 400,000 Australians have glaucoma;
- Around 50% of sufferers are undiagnosed;
- People with family history of glaucoma are ten times more likely to develop the disease, as are diabetics and short-sighted people;
- Glaucoma costs the Australian economy approximately two billion dollars a year;
- Glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible blindness worldwide.
- family history;
- short sightedness (myopia)
- long signtedness (hyperopia)
- eye injuries
- blood pressure problems
- past or present use of cortisone drugs (steroids).